Save a Life
Adopting a Companion
Benefits of Adopting a Shelter Animal:
Adopting a loving companion from a shelter will be a rewarding experience for you and your family. There are many advantages of adopting from a shelter. Here are just a few:
- Your pet will already be spayed or neutered, microchipped, treated for parasites, vaccinated and in some instances licensed.
- Fees for adoption are lower than purchasing an animal from a breeder or animal store, with the services above already included.
- There will be a wide selection of animals – breeds, ages, temperaments, etc.
- You save two lives. The life of the animal you are adopting and the space that can now be filled by another animal in need.
- Adoption counselors can facilitate a good match with your family since they know the animal’s history and behavior.
- You teach your children a valuable lesson in compassion and responsible pet ownership.
Things to Consider:
We would like to encourage you to take the time to consider all aspects of bringing a pet into your life before falling in love with a particular animal. The commitment to a cat or dog can easily last 10, 15 or even 20 years. Besides making sure that you can provide food, water, exercise, medical care, and companionship every day of every year, please consider the following:
- Do you have time for a pet?
- Is your pet a good fit with your family and other pets?
- Can you have a pet where you live?
- Are you prepared to deal with special problems that a pet can cause such as potential flea infestations, scratched-up furniture, accidents from animals who aren’t yet house-trained, and unexpected medical emergencies?
- Is it a good time for you to adopt a pet? Will there be any changes in your life soon?
- Are your living arrangements suitable for the animal you have in mind?
All of our shelters have adoption counselors on hand that welcome your questions and concerns.